Saturday, February 12, 2011

To Have Catwoman or to Not Have Catwoman?

Le sigh.

The interview I saw with Chris Nolan depicts Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy portraying Selena Kyle and Bane repetitively.  When asked about Catwoman, Nolan corrected saying "Selena Kyle."

So here's the thing.

With this kind of wordplay going on, can we automatically assume Nolan is throwing us all for a loop?  Is he intentionally making us bicker and argue as to whether or not Catwoman really does have a role in Rises?  Let's be honest.  I think Selena Kyle is a great addition to the script.  Bruce Wayne just lost Rachel Dawes in TDK and he emotionally ridden between who he is as the Gotham Billionaire and the Caped Crusader.  Selena will offer a kind of "relief/tension" that can really pull on the psychological level.  I think it would be great on screen to have a compelling Bruce Wayne story on top of a Batman story.  

But Catwoman?

I'm not convince, based on Nolan's correction.  Until more light is shed on the character, I don't think the villainess will appear.  So this does beg the question about Pfister's interview.  He was talking about doing screen tests with Hathaway and he is quoted saying "She looks great in her wardrobe."  Some people see this as clear cut evidence that Catwoman is making an appearance.

Not me.

I think it's just another red herring here to place a false scent for the hound-dog fanboys to follow.  Consider it similar to the scouting locations where "Robin's hideout" was said to be.  Another false trail to throw off what they were actually scouting for.

So, that said, what if Catwoman IS in the film?  Well, I won't lie.  It will not be my favorite decision.  In fact, it will likely be overshadowed by the presence of Bane.  I'm much more intrigued to see what happens with Nolan's version of Bane, and see if it at all follows the Kinghtfall series.  I think it would be a cool thing to see Bane break Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment